Monday, January 22, 2007

The Philosophy of Weng

I'm back after a long hiatus. And I think I'm ready to embark on another series of posts.

This time, it's going to be about "The Philosophy of Weng".

So I thought, what better way to introduce this series than defining it? *surprise surprise*

There are many definitions of philosophy, but let me start by going back to the root word.

Philosophy is Greek in origin, coming from the two part of 'phil' meaning love and 'sophy' meaning wisdom. Thus combined it means love of wisdom. I'll leave it there at the moment.

Below are the definitions of philosophy, as I got them by typing in "dict philosophy" into my Firefox address bar.
  1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
  2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
  3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
  4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
  5. The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
  6. The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
  7. A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
  8. A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.
All the above definitions have merit, and I'll come back often to visit them. Because our philosophy, whether we define it as such or not, is really our system of belief, and if you really believe that what you believe is really real, then well you're going to live it!

In my series, I will be doing numbers 2 and 4. With ONE exception. I will also investigate using empirical methods, which means that I WILL (attempt to) provide evidence.

Haha. So that's the introduction. I have yet to outline the direction of my series. So give me a few days, roughly two or three, to get that sorted, then check back here.

In the meantime I'll end with this passage from the Bible:

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ"
Colossians 2:8

And yes, for those of you who are a bit uncertain at this point, this WILL be a Christian worldview. After all, it's the philosophy of Weng.

Lol.

No comments: