Saturday, December 02, 2006

Time travel

Ingredients needed: A very fast plane.

Here's the hypothetical situation. Let's say I leave Malaysia at 6am in the morning. And my plane travels at the speed of time, westward.

Whoa. How does that work? Travelling at the speed of time?

Well since time as we know it is defined by man, and since we define it using the GMT system, the plane would really just need to travel at that GMT speed. So in other words we trap ourselves at 6am.

And there we go flying around the world.

Whoa - you've made human time stand still - although your biological clock is still ticking away.

Then here's where it gets complicated. I'm still trying to figure out whether this really happens.

Supposed I travel at the GMT speed. And then I reach the international deadline. How fun. What happens at this point?

I assume we will travel into the future. It's still 6am but the next day. All in the space of a nanosecond.

And voila - time travel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually when you say travelling at the speed of time I suppose what you really mean is the speed of light which is of course impossible. As an object approaches the speed of light it becomes more massive, thus increasing inertia and making it yet more difficult to move. Interesting thought though.... I'm here all day.... :)

Joel Lee Weng Yew said...

No. I mean time. Seriously. I know it sounds impossible. But you can possibly travel at such a speed as to enter each time zone at exactly the same time each time. And I thought about it but I don't think you have to travel at the speed of light. A concorde can do it. Except that they ceased flying quite a while back.