Monday, February 04, 2008

#18: February 4, 2008

Today's reading was from Exodus 16-18.
.
.
The Israelites just don’t get satisfied do they? First they complain about water, then they complain about food, then they complain about water and so on so forth...

But what’s interesting today was the little account of the battle with Amalek. Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. And so Aaron and Hur stood on either side of Moses to hold up his hands, and they were steady, and Israel prevailed.

I find that a very fitting metaphor of the church. We need support. There’s no such thing as a lone wolf Christian. It’s an oxymoron. We all need our Aarons and Hurs, to support us when we grow weary. So I’m rather thankful that God has instituted the church for such a purpose, and that he has given me fellow Christians around me to ‘hold up my hands’.

No comments: