Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The narrow road or #1: January 1, 2008

I have finally decided to end my blogging hiatus and start anew. It's the dawn of a new year, and it's the perfect time for a fresh start, beginning with the title.

So here I am again explaining why the change of title. Well, life's a journey. And we all choose different roads. Jesus tells us to "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13-14). I consider myself to have chosen the narrow road. But it's difficult to stay on it, and it's in fact impossible aside from the power of God, who is able to keep us from falling.

And I thought that it is only right for my blog to reflect that sort of life. I mean it's a useful tool to inform people of what I have been doing, but I feel that it should also inform people of what I have been thinking. And so I figured, why not share my personal spiritual insights of the day?

So here's insight #1. This verse leapfrogged into my mind yesterday on New Year's Eve.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4: 6-7


It's interesting that it just says present your requests. It doesn't say anything about your prayers being answered. And yet the peace of God still comes upon us. This doesn't seem to make any sense, but this shouldn't be so surprising - after all the verse does also say that the peace of God transcends all understanding. Yet, I have experienced this strange peace when I present my worries to God. And even more strangely/amazingly, when I do it with a thankful heart, acknowledging what God has already given me despite my worries, I am filled with an unshakable peace that I cannot explain.

And so I plan to keep this truth close to my heart this year. To trust in this promise. To stand in a boat with Jesus while the storms of the world rage around me, knowing full well that He has authority to calm the wind and the waves. And be filled with the assured hope that He will eventually do so in His own time.

No comments: